Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dearest Hope,
You asked for a post about why I LOVE Bread so much. First off there is nothing creepy going on . No spooning with frozen loaves on a hot night. No pet names. No cutting out cute shapes...
I think a major factor is the fact that I was spoiled as a child. Spoiled every weekend by parents who baked. Waking up to the smell of fresh baked bread, cinnamon buns and Aunt Ellies scones is a fond memory to say the least. The love comes from sitting down to a dinning room table so full of baked goodies there is only room a quarter pound of butter and a glass of milk.
My parents were not out to spoil us, Keith was on a mission. He was trying to recreate the bread that his Grandmother made for him. this entailed many vary variations on a base recipe much to our delight. Now when you have someone baking a dozen loaves of bread a weekend you have to find a variety of ways to eat it. Enter the humbly delicious Toad in the hole. A favorite among every one in my family. Quick, simple you almost always have all the ingredients . If you use cookie cutters to cut out shapes in the bread, the only thing you have to watch for is egg to hole proportions. Gramma Jane now brings Scones over to our house now and I have to hide some or they will all be eaten before i get chance to have one. The boys chose the microwave over the Toaster oven as a heating method. Something I will never understand.
that is all you get for now.
Love Bill

1 comment:

  1. You make no mention of the frozen loaf love-tap you received from me shortly after we entered this house. I'm hurt.

    ReplyDelete

sed by you